Saturday 25 February 2012

Pumped.

As much as I love talking about Unis, sometimes it can sound a bit, well, tedious.


*For the record, I have an offer from Hull. I'm not going to accept it. End of.


So instead I thought I'd muse a little on some of the things I've learnt by taking this gap year.


1. I will make a snobby student.


Perhaps I would've fitted in more at Oxford that I'd permit myself to think; I am going to be a complete snob. The thought of sharing a bathroom with other people (up to twenty!) turns my stomach although I think that, other than 'LADs', most people would agree but I'm even struggling to cope with the idea of sharing with seven strangers. So en suite it is for me. 


I've looked through my student cookbook and made a list of the things I'd like at Uni, including balsamic vinegar, prawns, salad and fresh fruit. Beans on toast just does not cut it.


My weekly shop, dahling.



2. People will always live within their means


Back in the days when I sold kitchens at da HB-massive I split my wages between savings and 'spendings'. Bearing in mind I was earning considerably less than I do now, I don't really remember ever feeling 'skint' or running out of money. Now, I give myself a generous monthly allowance (not including petrol, mobile phone bill, gym bill, any Uni-related spendings, car insurance or repairs!) and always spend it all. Down to literally the last penny. Adding up the amount I spend on food and drink (and believe me, I'm no gastronomist) is ridiculous: ASDA stripy strips, pints of cider black and McFlurrys are wiping me out. And that's before I add on manicures, packets of hair dye and other non-essential essentials.






3. I think I've caught autism from the kids I work with


Or rather, I think spending so much time with autistic children has made me over-aware of my own autistic-type traits. Now, whether in or out of work, I find myself using first-names before I speak to people, checking myself whenever I use metaphors or idioms and asking people 'do you understand what I mean?' I'm also hyper-aware of how much a creature of habit I can be; without my to-do lists, budget calculator and my filofax I would be lost. Without a schedule I completely fall apart. I'm hoping I'll be cured before my hospital placements kick in...






4. I am addicted to exercise


I cannot stress quite how obsessed I am with the gym. I can wax lyrical about the benefits of the gym all day long, pausing only for a sip of cherry flavoured, zero calorie,  ASDA price isotonic drink. As a target-driven person (read: neurotic) I've had to structure myself a plan for the gym, so that I actually have a well-rounded workout: 1 Zumba, 1 Spin, 1 Bodycombat and 2 runs. Even the running follows a carefully selected running programme, so that hopefully I can run 5km (without walking) by spring time, when it should be warm enough to run outside. The funny thing is, I don't feel that I've particularly lost weight/toned up yet I feel far more confident - like I have a sign that says 'I have been going to the gym! My CV system is tip-top!' Ultimately, it's more important to be fit (and able to walk up stairs without puffing!) than skinny.


Looking reem.




5. I'm not at all bitter about my gap year


Quite the opposite. This year out was probably the best option (which I avoided like the plague). I would recommend a working gap year to any Uni student, but particularly to Medics - the learning curve between last application and this has been immense, particularly for finding specific, grown-up examples for interview. Looking back, 'I worked really hard on an experiment last week' or 'I've learnt teamwork by helping out at a student club night', sounds childish compared to having actual experience of a working environment and (in my case) children, their parents, diagnoses etc.


Financially, the benefits have been enormous. Not only have I learnt how to budget properly, I should also have a comfortable nest egg in the bank by the time September rolls around. This means I've been able to choose the accomodation that I really want, rather than picking the cheapest. I've taken a stress away by knowing that although I'll try my best to budget with whatever funding I'm entitled to, there's backup cash available if I struggle, without having to ask my parents. Plus I can afford a new swanky laptop and some branded products. 


SmartPrice? Moi?



No comments:

Post a Comment