Wednesday 21 March 2012

MedWay.

It wouldn't necessarily be a lie to say I've been too busy this last month to blog.


Working short days, on a two week timetable, makes time go impossibly quickly. The benefit of working in a school is there's only ever six or seven weeks until the next break; I see some teachers once per fortnight, that's just three times in a term.


As a result, things that are put down to 'I'll do that tomorrow' can take two weeks to finish off. For example, Elishia's coat is currently slung over my bedpost from three weeks ago. We'll be back to Winter by the time she gets it at this rate.


Equally, the 'final' date for University decisions has been creeping up on me and I really need to start organising accomodation for September. Speaking of final dates - the very last decision date is 31st March, and I still haven't heard a thing from Leeds. You are poo Leeds, if you're listening...


However, one thing I have managed to put into place this month has been the Medics group at Ridgeway, something I've been keen to do before I even had the job. I've been working with a group of Year 12's who wanted to put something together on a regular basis and now we have a selection of Year 10, 11, 12 and myself (which makes me feel a little bit like an old person trying to be down wid da kidz).


To start with, it was a horrible, horrible mess to be frank. Organisation was poor and the tension was so thick I had to wear my wellies. Now everyone seems a bit more settled and chatty - which also means I don't have to plan quite so rigidly, to fill the gaps of silence. These 'plans' consist mostly of Post It notes and asking 'so what did you think of last weeks session?' We even have an edgy, Uni-esque name: MedWay. Which was way better than RidgeMed or any of my rubbish suggestions. So far we've looked at extra-curricular activities and how important they are (seeing as I had nothing on my entrance to New College and had to cram everything in) as well as touching on the usual stuff around entrance requirements, A Levels, work experience etc etc.


I've made some pretty cool resources (for the benefit of next year's group, rather than my own) but unfortunately I've left them all on my school laptop -  it even has a sticker saying 'Miss Hilton'. Maybe I'll dig it all out at some point.


Anyway, it's providing me with a little bit of Uni discussion to get me through until September, which really isn't that far away... We booked tickets for Reading Festival last week - which will be literally weeks before my move-in date. That is scary. No more Foxies pub quiz. No more long, unstructured evenings. No more 3.15 finishes. And no more Leslie. God, I'm going to miss that blue, rickety flowermobile. 



No comments:

Post a Comment